We all know that it’s almost always more fun, and even more effective to exercise with a partner or trainer. And sure, it’s easy to get motivated to workout with your girlfriends, especially when morning coffee is your post workout activity! Unfortunately finding that workout buddy is not always possible. To combat your lonely workout days, we’ve put together a little list of ways to improve your solo workout.
1) Make a SCHEDULE! When your workout becomes part of your daily routine, it’s so much easier to stay on track. Put it on your calendar just like you would a doctor’s appointment and you aren’t likely to skip it.
2) Pop in your earbuds. Having a great playlist can really help motivate you to keep going,and simultaneously distract you from the chaos around you. Some people even like to listen to audiobooks while they run or cycle. If the book is good, you may even end up extending your workout, and learn a thing or two!
3) Make yoga your new favorite activity. For some people, working out alone can be cathartic, like therapy. Trying something like meditative yoga can help you focus on your inner self just as much as your physical body.
4) Reward yourself! And we don’t mean with a candy bar! Setting goals and rewards can give you something to work towards. Think about gifting yourself a new pair of running shoes for not skipping a workout all month. Or maybe you need that new Strut-This jacket as a reward for reaching your goal weight! Just a thought ladies…
Whatever you do, all that really matters is that you are DOING it! You’ll only regret the workouts that you didn’t do!
WORKING OUT FOR TWO
It’s no secret that relationships take work, and so does staying healthy. So finding the time to give your abs and your significant other the proper amount of attention can be tricky. Luckily for you, we’ve got a few tips on how you and your other half can kill two birds with one stone!
1) Be flexible with your routine. You don’t have to work out together every day, but taking one or two days a week to do something that he or she wants to do will not throw off your progress, as long as you’re still active! Remember, compromising is key to any relationship.
2) Pick FUN activities. Riding bikes through town or hitting the trails for a hike will feel like fun instead of hard work! Plus, hiking can be a great date activity since you’ll likely still be able to carry on a conversation.
3) Understand that no two bodies are the same. Just because your boyfriend is an exceptionally fast runner, doesn’t mean you have to hurt yourself trying to keep up. If he wants to run, maybe hop on the treadmills for awhile. You can stay together at different paces!
4) Teach each other something. Are you a yoga veteran? Let your man tag along to a beginners class with you one day. Is he always playing racquetball with the guys? Ask him to show you how. Learning something new together like this can strengthen your relationship and your muscles!
5) Encourage one another. Make sure to tell your significant other that you can tell a difference in their abs or that his last mile seemed a lot easier than it did two weeks ago. Everyone loves to hear that their hard work is paying off, and words of support can bring you closer together.
Do you have other tips on keeping your relationship alive and getting your heart pumping at the same time? Tell us about them!
ALL YOU NEED IS LOVE
All you need is love, or so they say you do. Anyways, welcome to the lovely month of February, the month people long for all year long, or alternatively miserably dread every time it comes around. If you have a significant other well it’s a fabulous excuse to inhale way too much chocolate and bubbly champagne. And if you do not have a significant other to share the glorious day of February 14th with, well then it tends to be a dreary, miserable, self pitying day for most.
Well February can be an awesome month for everyone. We have made it thought January– typically a month of crazy diets and monetary budgets (after the holiday craze). And now we are moving fast gear into spring, a huge welcome to our friends struggling on the east coast!
But this month we want to share the LOVE that is associated with February, with all of you—boyfriend, or not.
February is about loving all things in your life, and each week we want to focus on that. So, no more self pitying if you don’t have a date on February 14th.
Week 1 is all about loving your best friend. Week 2 is about your significant other. Week 3 is about the love and bond you share with family. And week 4, my personal favorite, is about loving yourself! At the end of the day, valentines dates come and go, so don’t forget about YOU and the knockout person that you are!
Stay tuned for weekly coupon codes to promote PINK items on our site. Just a hint, they will be 25% OFF for 24 hours every Wednesday!
Lots of love!
JOINING A GYM…AND ACTUALLY GOING
We see the commercials, we read about the different workout plans, we even pay the start-up fees, but are you really using that brand new gym membership? If not, keep reading! We’re here to help get you back on the jumpstart that you need!
We love doing things in groups! Why not head off to the gym with your closest gal pals? Time catching up over coffee, lunch or dinner can easily be done while walking on the treadmill or working it out on the elliptical. Even if you’re new to the gym, you must know that friend or two that is a gym guru! Partner up with friends who know the gym better than you so that you can pick up on helpful tips and new exercises!
Maybe your friend can’t make it to the gym today. Does that mean you skip your workout? No way! Find a class offered by your gym. Most gyms include spinning, cardio kickboxing, zumba and yoga classes. Taking a one hour class is a great way to fulfill your workout for the day while having fun and sweating it out with a group of people in the same position as you!
Are you more private during your workouts? Hiring a personal trainer can be costly, but worth the price for the results! Training sessions can run anywhere from 30 minutes to an hour. They are perfect if you have never joined a gym and need some guidance (and motivation) getting the most out of the equipment provided to you. A personal trainer can also assist in setting up meal plans to ensure that you are getting results not only in the gym, but outside of the gym as well.
Make working out a fun and fashionable activity by purchasing your workout gear from Strut-This! Visit us online to see the various styles of workout pants, tops and jackets that we offer in various colors and prints! Feel like a new you this year! Join a gym in your area… and actually go!
HEALTHY EATING IN THE NEW YEAR
Was it your New Year’s resolution to eat healthier for 2014? Trust us, we know it can be much easier said than done! I broke my resolution a few days in, but hey at least I lasted a few days! With that said, here at Strut-This we are determined to help make the lives of not only our customers, but the rest of America, happier and healthier. Here are some simple tips to keeping your resolution, or just your lifestyle, on track!
1. Pack a lunch: Not only does packing your own lunch help to monitor the calories that you will be consuming, but you can save at least $1,500 in one year by preparing meals on your own! A simple sandwich, grilled chicken or salmon can be easily prepared the night before your busy workday. Making your own meals ensures that only quality ingredients will be contained in each bite of food you take (and it helps to avoid temptations)!
2. Take a morning walk: We know waking up in the mornings can be a challenge, but even a half an hour walk around your neighborhood can make a difference. A healthy mind can also lead to a healthy body. Take this morning down time to prepare your body and your mind for the days events! Kill two birds with one stone, and grab your pooch and make him or her join you!
3. Drink water: Water, as most of us know, is essential to help our body function to its fullest potential. Our bodies are composed of about 60 percent water! Water helps to maintain digestion, absorption, circulation, creation of saliva, transportation of nutrients and a steady body temperature. Substituting water for higher calories drinks will only help in your overall weight loss journey. And honestly, sipping water throughout the day keeps you full, and may help you avoid running into the pantry!
4. Make realistic goals: On average, it is best to lose between 1 to 2 pounds each week. Expecting to lose several pounds on a weekly basis is not only unhealthy, but it’s unrealistic. Consult a doctor if you’re interested in finding a healthy calorie intake for each day to keep your weight loss journey healthy!
Strut your way to a NEW you by following our helpful tips on twitter and sharing with us some of your own! Don’t make crazy resolutions that are impractical, change your lifestyle and take baby steps! We’ll help you along the way.
HAPPY NEW YEAR!
Goodmorning 2014! You have officially arrived! We hope everyone rung in the New Year next to someone they love!
2013 was a great year filled with lots of hard work, success, laughs, struggles and fabulous memories! Thank you for being a part of our journey along the way!
We cannot wait for the year ahead! We are feeling good things coming our way, and yours in 2014! Can’t wait to talk resolutions, accomplishments, goals and health with all of you.
So cheers to sending off 2013 and bring on 2014!