The days get longer and the weather gets warmer. That can only mean one thing: BEACH SEASON. Between the busy summer jobs and reconnecting with family and friends on vacation, it can be hard to stay on top of your healthy eating habits. We have some great tips on how to eat healthy for your beach body!
1) DRINK WATER. Getting enough water each day is the number one way to get and stay healthy. Often times when you think you’re hungry, you’re actually just thirsty. A good rule of thumb is to drink a glass of water before any meal or snack. You’ll feel full and prevent overeating, all while hydrating your body.
2) PLAN AHEAD. We know you’re busy. If you plan ahead and always pack a healthy snack in your purse or keep some in your desk drawer, you’ll reach for that instead of making the trek to the vending machine for something sugary and stale.
3) MODERATION IS KEY. It’s hard to think of certain foods as off-limits. If you ban ALL sweets, you’ll only crave them more. It’s better to start off by controlling your portions and slowly decreasing the amount of unhealthy foods that you eat. Before long, you won’t want them at all.
4) THINK COLOR! Filling your diet with colorful fruits and veggies means filling your body with vitamins, minerals, antioxidants, and fiber. Aim for a minimum of five servings of fruits and/or vegetables each day to insure a balanced diet. An added bonus is that sweet veggies like corn, sweet potatoes, and squash can reduce your cravings for sugary snacks.
5) WHY ARE YOU EATING? Are you bored? Restless? Thirsty? Or are you actually hungry? It’s important to think before you eat. Also, instead of eating 3 large meals a day, you’ll speed up your metabolism by having 5-6 small meals or snacks. At the very least, do NOT skip breakfast!